Sunday, February 5, 2012

The 'Iron Lady' and a few hours of radical behaviour...


                        My Mom and I went to see the movie 'Iron Lady' this weekend...it brought back quite a few memories of the time I went on a protest march through the streets of London. I worked at Samuel Heap & Son...a dyeing and finishing of fabric company...I was a fabric inspector...looking for both manufacturing faults and dyeing faults...we belonged to a union...the unions in England at that time had a lot of power and control...every time they didn't like anything they called their people out on strike...I remember being on strike one time...I have no idea why we were on strike...the Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher wanted to disband the unions so of course the unions had a protest march against her.   

                        There was going to be a bus leaving from my place of work heading to London on 9th March 1980...my sister and a fellow co-worker had never been to London before so we decided to join the march...looking back on that time I had no idea what was going on with the unions all we wanted to do was go to London...

                           
                Here are a few photos of my first trip to London....my so called radical days...

                             My sister...this would be totally against her principles now...

                                              Me in Hyde Park before the march started...

The group from our bus...my sister...me...and a co worker on the front row...and a bunch of random guys...


              The movie 'Iron Lady' was very good if you are interested in British history or politics...

No comments:

Post a Comment